Thursday, October 9, 2008

Update on Workload Question

It is a busy time of the semester, and I have had a hard time getting quick answers to the question posed by an anonymous reader concerning faculty workload. But at last I can report a tiny bit of progress.

I wrote to Provost Hughes about the matter--apparently at the same time that at least one other faculty member asked her about it. She wrote me back with the following reply:

"I am looking into the PAc-29 information and the guidelines for overload. I understand that there is some history not recorded in the PAc that precedes both the President and me. We are looking into the issues that you raise. I will get back to you as soon as I can."

The original question has also been sent to Jane Fitzpatrick, the University Attorney, who can also comment on the legal status of the PAc (and all others).

My institutional memory stretches back a ways, but there is considerable murkiness on this issue. As I remember it, the two Provosts before Dr. Hughes worked to reduce or eliminate overload pay--and thus faculty overloads of any kind were discouraged. But certain matters are still unclear.

Under what circumstances are faculty required to teach an overload?

Will faculty be compensated for overloads?

Is the University consistent in how it handles workload issues involving graduate courses, labs, private lessons, thesis direction, etc.?

Discussions are underway regarding "differentiated loads" for faculty (more about this later in a separate post). In my opinion, we need to clarify some of our current policies and make them consistent before we get too far into these discussions.

I'll keep you informed as to what I learn. I would appreciate hearing your comments on this issue.

Ron

No comments: